Quoting Rob Douglas:
“Arguably, the same issues that require the next administration in Washington to rethink the promotion of homeownership — given the collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac — require our local governments in Routt County to rethink how aggressively they promote affordable housing.”
“Perhaps, before we repeat similar mistakes here in the valley, we should retreat from the knee-jerk social engineering government policies surrounding local housing development and ask the same question now before our nation’s leaders, but with a local twist.
How aggressively should our local governments promote affordable housing?
Arguably, government should play no role in promoting affordable housing.”
Click here to read the WSJ article cited by Mr. Douglas
The first steps in implementing this change [we need] would be to:
1) Defund and disband the utterly illegitimate and tyrannically imposed Yampa Valley [Socialist] Housing Authority.
2) Repeal the so-called “Inclusionary Zoning” ordinance.
3) Revoke ALL existing deed restrictions (dating back at least to the 1990’s) which relate to so-called “Affordable Housing”.
4) Get serious about ALLOWING developers to develop market rate rental apartments everywhere within a 50 mile radius of Steamboat Springs. This, of course, will require the cooperation of multiple local governments.
5) Consider improvements to public transportation within a 50 mile radius of Steamboat Springs. But, given how sparsely existing public transportation is utilized, I have some doubts as to how many people would actually use it.
was tyrannically imposed on Steamboat Springs.
Click here to learn more about the
root cause of the current housing mess.